Sunday, September 4, 2011

Post thoughts on self-publishing an ebook

I have just self-published my first ebook.
https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/85666

 I decided to do this because I really wanted the experience of self-publishing an ebook, and I have to say overall I enjoyed it.
I first looked at the Amazon site and went through to Kindle to use their publish section. Well after a few hours and a few swear words, I gave up and went over to Smashwords. Their site was very easy to follow and other than a few formating problems, such as indented paragraphs, it was easy enough to finish the project.
Smashwords will not let you proress until everything is correct, formating, copyright, cover picture etc. The good thing is they do tell you what sections need addressing, you re-submit and when it is all correct it will allow you to use one of their ISBN which is an International Standard Book Number, it is a 10-digit number that uniquely identifies books and book-like products published internationally.


When I had successfully finished my ebook I thought I would re-try Kindle, so that my ebook could be sold on Amazon. It must have been the fact that I now had an ISBN, I completed the task in 5 minutes, what a breeze. On Kindle it takes 24 to 48 hours to appear in their shop, so I'm looking forward to that now.

ISBN - In Smashwords you can provide your own, I have no experience on this but apparantly it is cheaper if you buy them in blocks of ten. Or you can avail of a free one from Smashwords, if you have no interest in becoming a publisher and/or want to keep the costs to 0.00 then this is the way to go.
So if I was to make another ebook, I would definitely use Smashwords first, avail of the free ISBN and then use the Kindle setup, and save myself hours of swearing.


Relevent links:
Smashwords - http://www.smashwords.com/about/how_to_publish_on_smashwords
Kindle - https://kdp.amazon.com/self-publishing/help

No comments:

Post a Comment